Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Ian
      Participant

Stanley Johnson told the BBC’s Today: “He took one for the team and we’ve got to make sure we play properly now.”

So now the pandemic has affected his family, Stanley wants us to take this seriously?

Or how about the Tory PM going to his second home to visit family for “legit reasons”, or the Scottish medical officer going to their second home or the four hundred ish people living in Manchester who had private parties broken up by the police?

As a collective, people are all in this together, but that is until it infringes an individual who thinks that they are exempt for what ever reason, because a b or c.

I could rant some more but it’s like pissing into the wind.

toerag
      Participant

Stanley Johnson told the BBC’s Today: “He took one for the team and we’ve got to make sure we play properly now.”

I have no desire to listen to the PM’s dad. Why even quote him?

or the four hundred ish people living in Manchester who had private parties broken up by the police?

I realise this is ridiculous behaviour, but it is that accounts for only 0.07% of the population of Manchester*, most people are being sensible.

We can all point to people not following the rules, but maybe an acknowledgement that most people are following the rules is better?

*I’ve no idea is the parties were just Manchester, on the GM built up area (0.00016% of the population at parties), or the GM metropolitan area (0.00012% of the population at parties)

matt123
        Participant

660 parties x 10 people per party (my estimate) = 6,600 people.

6,600 / 2,183,000 = 0.000235 = 0.0235% of the GM population.

So you’re off by a factor of a couple of hundred. Then, much like covid numbers, this was *detected parties*. It also seems reasonable to assume this minority were the most flagrant and therefore detectible lockdown breakers or “the tip of the iceberg”. By similar maths I make it about 1% of city residents at *detected* parties.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by matt123.

matt123
      Participant

:/

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by matt123.

Davedave
      Participant

Wise up. The policy is to slow it not stop it. Otherwise restrictions would be much more draconian. There is no chance of stamping it out now, it is wisespread. It is just a matter of time until it comes in your door.

As that understanding percolates the observance of the lock down will deteriorate.

Always waiting on a vaccine. How long are you prepared to wait in confinement? It might never come.

Anyways that’s how I see it currently.

Gaz
        Participant

You are correct.The lock down was never intended to stop the virus, it’s whole purpose is to slow it down so that the overstretched NHS isn’t overwhelmed by a flood of new cases all at the same time. It’s pretty well inevitable that until a vaccine is developed, and that is likely to be 18 months away, 80% of us will catch it, but if the lock down succeeds infections will be spread out over a period of time allowing the NHS to cope with the cases as they occur.

The problem seems to be that a large number of the population seem to be missing the point completely by thinking that the lock down is intended to stop them getting it for ever. The really selfish ones are those who are adopting a Devil may care attitude and throwing caution to the wind , because they are too dim to realise that this isn’t about oneself, it’s about ALL of us.

eeek
          Participant

The problem seems to be that a large number of the population seem to be missing the point completely by thinking that the lock down is intended to stop them getting it for ever.

I’m not sure the government has communicated clearly enough that point. Get it now, and you’ll be competing for hospital space with a lot of ill people and being treated by staff who may be infected themselves; get it in 3 or 6 months there will be better evidence based treatment and your chances will be much better.

Peter
      Participant

Took one for the team? Ffs. He probably spread it around the team.

eeek
        Participant

Took one for the team is a wholly inappropriate way of describing what happened as it implies a sacrifice which benefits others. Almost the opposite in this case.

scats
      Participant

One of the unintended consequences of all this which is largely going unnoticed at the moment is that people are not seeking medical help for all the usual things that keep happening.

For example a N Wales hospital went 3 days without a emergency cardiac unit being used. People are sitting at home just getting on with strokes, heart attacks. I know doctors locally are becoming increasingly concerned about the welfare of other non Covid related patients.

In another area a mother called 111 about her son who had a strangulated testical but as the had a fever were advised to stay at home. I think there are several stories doing the rounds now of similar near miss events due to Covid misdiagnoses concerns.

Cancer ops are being cancelled left, right and centre and folk just aren’t getting in touch with their doctors as they would normally. Another North Wales Hospital cleared the decks and was running at 33% capacity last week compared to the usual 97% capacity and the peak here isn’t expected for another 6 weeks.

Now I appreciate these are difficult times but I can’t help but feel that as time goes on we are going to have many, many people who find themselves very unwell putting even more pressure on health services.

Ian
        Participant

I have concerns about a friend who is refusing to seek mental health help at the moment. I’ve told them that can still be helped but it is difficult to get through right now as they are not thinking clearly.

simon
        Participant

I read a news article the other day touching that issue, saying that the death rate in Scotland had gone through the roof as compared with previous years for the same period all on the back of people not seeking medical attention so as not to oerburden the NHS.

Don’t remember the exact figures but it was a few thousand in 1 week

EDIT: 60% higher and just over 600 https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/08/alarm-sounded-over-rise-in-non-coronavirus-deaths-in-scotland

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by simon.
Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.