Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

AngryFish
      Participant

Quite a few of my work colleagues, who are NOT workshy, and have textbook symptoms are getting mixed results.

Some are positive and some are negative. Can these tests be trusted?

scats
      Participant

I heard on the news thatthereare 30% false negatives…….I remember thinking that seemed incredibly high.

Edit: livescience.com/covid19-coronavirus-tests-false-negatives.html

Don’t know about the reliability of the site:

“”Unfortunately, we have very little public data on the false-negative rate for these tests in clinical practice,” Dr. Harlan M. Krumholz, a professor of medicine at Yale University and director of the Yale New Haven Hospital Center for Outcomes Research and Evaluation, wrote in an opinion piece in The New York Times. However, preliminary research from China suggests that the most common type of COVID-19 test, known as a reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) test, may give false-negative results about 30% of the time.”

Robert
        Participant

Well, there’s an internal control in the kit, so if that has worked, and you don’t get a positive test result, you didn’t put any viral RNA in. Maybe that’s because you screwed up the sample collection or the patient has something else.

RT-PCR really is unbelievably sensitive and an extremely robust technology.

If you said there was an unexplained 30% negative result for antibody tests however, that’s a whole different question

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.